Home Contents Insurance Germany (Hausratversicherung) – Protect your stuff!
Last update: 14 June 2020
Unlike the private liability insurance, the home contents insurance is not an absolute must-have… However it is definitely an insurance that you should have. Wondering what this home contents insurance, or in German “Hausratversicherung”, is about and why you should get one? Don’t worry… below you will find a brief summary of the most important facts about home contents insurance in Germany as well as an overview of insurance providers that offer a great value for money. So let’s get started!
What is Home Contents Insurance or “Hausratversicherung”?
Simply put, a home contents insurance helps you to protect your possessions from robbery/theft, vandalism, water damages, fire damages and/or storm damages. Here are some examples to illustrate what is covered:
- Somebody breaks into your apartment and steals your laptop and TV, or even worse also damages your furniture whilst searching for valuable goods. This can easily go into thousands of Euros…
- There is a fire in your house/apartment. No need to explain what that means…
- Your washing machine has a defect and floods your apartment, damaging your electronic devices and your furniture. This can also get very expensive!
- There’s a heavy storm that devastates your apartment. The damages to your personal goods would also be covered by a home contents insurance.
You get why it’s worthwhile to have this insurance, right? 😉 In a nutshell this is what is covered in a home contents insurance:
- Electronic devices (e.g. laptop, TV, iPad, etc.)
- Furniture (incl. carpets and decoration items)
- Clothing, shoes & accessories
- Valuables (e.g. jewelry or cash)
Home Contents Insurance Germany – Good Insurance Providers
Below you will find a summary of home contents insurance providers in Germany that offer good value for money and are easy to deal with.