How to open a Commerzbank account
Step-by-Step Manual for Opening a Commerzbank bank account
Last update: 31 December 2019
In this step-by-step manual I will show you how to open a Commerzbank account. Opening your Commerzbank account only takes seven minutes and is very easy, so let’s get started!
For a comprehensive comparison of German bank accounts, check out our Bank Account Germany page.
Go to the Commerzbank website
Go to the Commerzbank website and click on “Jetzt zum Formular und sofort eröffnen” (Open account now):
First Page -- Personal Data
- Anrede: Select your sex here (Frau=Female / Herr=Male)
- Titel: Academic Title (Dr. / Dr.Dr. / Dr.h.c.), this is optional
- Vorname(n): Enter your first name(s) here as stated on your ID/passport
- Nachname: Enter your last name as stated on your ID/passport
- Geburtsdatum & Geburtsort: Enter your date of birth (Format: DD.MM.YYYY) and your place of birth as stated on your ID/passport
- Geburtsland: Select your country of birth
- Geburtsname: Enter your maiden name as stated on your ID/passport (if applicable)
- Staatsangehörigkeit: Select your citizenship
- Steuer-ID: Enter your German tax number, if you have one. If you do not have one yet, leave blank.
- Beruf: Select your occupation:
- Angestellte/Angestellter: employee (White collar)
- Arbeiter und (nichtselbständige) Handwerker: worker (Blue collar)
- Auszubildende/Auszubildender: apprentice
- Beamte und Behördenangestellte: civil servant
- Hausfrau/Hausmann: housewife/househusband
- Ohne Berufsangabe: not specified
- Rentner und Pensionäre: retirees and pensioners (retired civil servants)
- Schülerin/Schüler: school student
- Studentin/Student: university student
- wirtschaftlich selbstständiger Handwerker: economically independent craftsman
- wirtschaftlich selbstständige Privatperson: economically independent private individual
- Welche regelmäßigen monatlichen Geldeingänge erwarten Sie auf dem Konto: Enter your current net income per month in EUR. Make sure to enter the total sum of your monthly net income (i.e. salary, income from rental, side job, etc.)
- Welche regelmäßigen Bar-Ein- & Auszahlungen erwarten Sie auf dem Konto (inkl. Schecks): How many cash transactions do you expect to have per month in EUR. This comprises for example cash withdrawals or checks.
- Ich tätige / erhalte regelmäßig Überweisungen ins / aus dem Ausland: Please specify here if you will have regular transactions from to abroad (e.g. money transfers to your family abroad). Please also specify the countries involved.
- Weitere steuerliche Ansässigkeit: If you are a tax resident in Germany only leave blank. If you are also a tax resident in other countries please tick the box and select the country and your tax ID in that country.
- PLZ / Wohnort: Enter your postcode and city
- Straße / Hausnummer: Enter your street and house number. The address has to be the one that is on your ID/proof of residence
- Land: Select your country of residence
- Wohnhaft seit: Enter the date since when you are resident at the respective address
- Telefon: Enter your mobile number (without leading zero)
- E-Mail: Enter your e-mail address here
- E-Mail wiederholen: Repeat your e-mail address
- Benutzername: Choose a login name for the online banking
- Wunsch-PIN: Choose a five to eight digit PIN (letters and numbers possible)
- Wunsch-PIN wiederholen: Repeat your PIN
- Here you can select if you want to receive news and updates from Commerzbank via telephone
- Here you can select if you want to receive news and updates from Commerzbank via e-mail
- By ticking this box you allow Commerzbank to use your personal data for financial advisory services
- By ticking this box you allow Commerzbank to submit your personal data to other companies for financial advisory services
- By selecting “Ja” (Yes) you agree to open your Commerzbank account for yourself and not for another person. If you choose no, you won’t be able to open the account.
- You agree to have received the information about the deposit protection
- You confirm to have read the information about the scope of the deposit protection
- By ticking this box you agree to receive the details of your account opening by e-mail
- Click on “Weiter” (Next) to continue
Second Page -- Confirm your entries
Check on the next page if the data you have entered is correct and click on:
Third page -- Prove your identity
On the last page you can download (Herunterladen) or e-mail (Per E-Mail erhalten) your application form for the Commerzbank account:
In the next step you can choose which process you want to use to prove your identity:
You have three options to prove your identity:
- Prove your identity in a Commerzbank branch
The first one is the VideoIdent procedure where you can prove your identity via videochat. You just need to download the Commerzbank VideoIdent app on your smartphone, enter the reference number (will be sent your mobile number) in the app and prove your identity with your passport/ID card and specimen signature on paper via videochat. Here’s a short video, explaining the process:
This procedure is available 24/7 and therefore the most convenient one, however it doesn’t work with all passports. That’s why there is an alternative…
With PostIdent you print out your Commerzbank application form and go to the next post office (Deutsche Post). There you will hand in your documents and your passport/ID will be checked. On the Deutsche Post website you can learn more about this procedure.
Finally the third option is to prove your identity in a Commerzbank branch. Just print out the application form and go with your passport/ID to your closest Commerzbank branch.
That’s it! Open your Commerzbank account now!
Should you have any problems or questions, just send me a message or leave a comment!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, meaning I earn a commission if you use those links.