How to open a Commerzbank account
Step-by-Step Manual for Opening a Commerzbank bank account
Last update: 28 July 2021
In this step-by-step manual I will show you how to open a Commerzbank account. Opening your Commerzbank account only takes seven minutes and is very easy, so let’s get started!
For a comprehensive comparison of German bank accounts, check out our Bank Account Germany page.
Go to the Commerzbank website
Go to the Commerzbank website and click on “Kostenloses Girokonto eröffnen” (Open free bank account):
Personal Data (Personendaten)
- Anrede: Select your sex here (Frau=Female / Herr=Male)
- Titel: Academic Title (Dr. / Dr.Dr. / Dr.h.c.), this is optional
- Vorname(n): Enter your first name(s) here as stated on your ID/passport
- Nachname: Enter your last name as stated on your ID/passport
- Geburtsname: Enter your maiden name as stated on your ID/passport (if applicable)
- Geburtsdatum: Enter your date of birth (Format: DD.MM.YYYY)
- Geburtsort: Enter your place of birth as stated on your ID/passport
- Geburtsland: Select your country of birth
- Staatsangehörigkeit: Select your citizenship
Registered Address (Meldeadresse)
- Postleitzahl: Enter your postcode
- Wohnort: Enter your city
- Straße: Enter your street name
- Hausnummer: Enter your house number. The address has to be the one that is on your ID/proof of residence.
- Wohnhaft seit: Enter the date since when you are resident at the respective address
- Steuer-ID: Enter your German tax number, if you have one. If you do not have one yet, leave blank.
- Weitere steuerliche Ansässigkeit: If you are a tax resident in Germany only leave blank. If you are also a tax resident in other countries please tick the box and select the country and your tax ID in that country.
Employment Status (Arbeitsverhältnis)
- Beruf: Select your occupation:
- Angestellte/Angestellter: employee (White collar)
- Arbeiter und (nichtselbständige) Handwerker: worker (Blue collar)
- Auszubildende/Auszubildender: apprentice
- Beamte und Behördenangestellte: civil servant
- Hausfrau/Hausmann: housewife/househusband
- Ohne Berufsangabe: not specified
- Rentner und Pensionäre: retirees and pensioners (retired civil servants)
- Schülerin/Schüler: school student
- Studentin/Student: university student
- wirtschaftlich selbstständiger Handwerker: economically independent craftsman
- wirtschaftlich selbstständige Privatperson: economically independent private individual
Contact Details (Kontaktdaten)
- Mobilfunknummer: Enter your mobile number
- E-Mail: Enter your e-mail address here
- E-Mail wiederholen: Repeat your e-mail address
Login Details (Zugangsdaten)
- Benutzername: Choose a login name for the online banking (minimum eight characters)
- Wunsch-PIN: Choose a five to eight digit PIN (only letters and numbers possible)
- Wunsch-PIN wiederholen: Repeat your PIN
Account Transactions (Kontoumsätze)
- Geldeingänge pro Monat: Enter your current net income per month in EUR. Make sure to enter the total sum of your monthly net income (i.e. salary, income from rental, side job, etc.)
- Bargeld-Transaktionen pro Monat: How many cash transactions do you expect to have per month in EUR. This comprises for example cash withdrawals or checks.
- Ich tätige / erhalte regelmäßig Überweisungen ins / aus dem Ausland: Please specify here if you will have regular transactions from/to abroad (e.g. money transfers to your family abroad). Please also specify the countries involved.
Additional Mastercard Debit
- Select here if you want to order an additional Mastercard Debit for 3.50 EUR/month. This is optional. By default the Commerzbank account comes with a Girocard debit card.
Securities Account (Ihr Depot)
- Select here if you want to open a securities account (e.g. for trading stocks). This is optional.
Legal Conditions (Rechtliches)
- By ticking this box you agree to receive the details of your account opening by e-mail
- By ticking this box you agree to open your Commerzbank account for yourself and not for another person.
- You agree to have received the information about the deposit protection
- You confirm to have read the information about the scope of the deposit protection
- By ticking these boxes you agree to receive information about new offers from Commerzbank via phone and/or e-mail.
- By ticking this box you allow Commerzbank to use your personal data for financial advisory services.
- By ticking this box you allow Commerzbank to submit your personal data to other companies for financial advisory services.
Confirm your entries
Check on the next page if the data you have entered is correct and click on:
Prove your identity
On the last page you can download (Unterlagen herunterladen) or e-mail (Unterlagen per E-Mail senden) your application form for the Commerzbank account:
In the next step you can choose which process you want to use to prove your identity:
You have three options to prove your identity:
- Prove your identity in a Commerzbank branch
The first one is the VideoIdent procedure where you can prove your identity via videochat. You just need to download the Commerzbank VideoIdent app on your smartphone, enter the reference number (will be sent your mobile number) in the app and prove your identity with your passport/ID card and specimen signature on paper via videochat. Here’s a short video, explaining the process:
This procedure is available 24/7 and therefore the most convenient one, however it doesn’t work with all passports. That’s why there is an alternative…
With PostIdent you print out your Commerzbank application form and go to the next post office (Deutsche Post). There you will hand in your documents and your passport/ID will be checked. On the Deutsche Post website you can learn more about this procedure.
Finally, the third option is to prove your identity in a Commerzbank branch. Just print out the application form and go with your passport/ID to your closest Commerzbank branch.
That’s it! Open your Commerzbank account now!
Should you have any problems or questions, just send me a message or leave a comment!
By the way… With the below calculator you can easily check if your monthly incoming payment is sufficient in order to avoid fees:
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, meaning I earn a commission if you use those links.